And probably one of the best too, considering that we only stayed there for a little over 24 hours.
A trip to Baler is something you shouldn't miss. It is a perfect mixture of rich history, natural wonders, hospitable people, and adrenaline-pumping adventure.
So, here are the tipid tips and recommendations for those who want to enjoy a Baler Getaway of their own.
- Genesis transport is the only bus line that has direct trips to Baler. I recommend you ride the regular airconditioned bus which costs Php450.00 per passenger. You just have to choose the most comfortable seat since you'd be travelling for around 6-7 hours. If you plan to reach Baler around 7 o'clock the following morning, be sure to be at the terminal by 11 pm. There are no reservations for regular aircon bus, so you have to wait in line. When we came at the terminal around 11pm, the guard told us that buses 1, 2, and 3 are already full. They issue bus number for passengers who came early. He added that there will be buses 4 and 5 which can accommodate us but he will no longer issue bus number and we would just have to wait and fall in line. There were many passengers waiting, and I don't know what would happen to passengers if buses 4 and 5 were already full. So better be early and pack a gallon of pateince. You can also opt to ride in their Joybus that promises comfort and luxury while you travel. But of course you have to pay around Php700.00 plus you have to book at least two weeks in advance before your scheduled trip as the joybus gets fully booked quite fast.
- Unless you are confident about your driving skills or you are a daredevil, I do not recommend riding and driving your own car going to Baler. It was a smooth drive at NLEX and SCTEX but once you passed Cabanatuan City, it will be long, winding, zigzag, not paved well, steep, narrow roads to Baler.
- Travel time is around 6-7 hours via regular aircon bus due to stopovers. We left Cubao around 1am and reached Baler by 7am. So if you want to catch the sunrise, be early.
- There are no jeepneys in Baler (i think. or maybe they were hiding when we came.) So the mode of transportation are the Tricycles. Once in Baler Terminal, tricycles are already lined up waiting for passengers and offering you tour around the place.
- Kuya Dante offered us a tour for only Php500.00 - a highly recommended tour guide.
- contact no: 09489484382
- you can haggle, but we didn't. It was the cheapest offer.
- Hotels, resorts, homestays are like mushrooms in Baler. You can easily find and book a room online. Your decision will of course be based on your preference. If you want affordable accommodation, homestay would be the perfect choice. But if you like the beach, the restaurants, the crowd, and the fun, then you should stay in resorts in Sabang Beach. Meanwhile, if you want beach+fun+relaxation- the crowd, then go to Brgy. Buhangin. That's what we did. It's the same stretch of beach but far from the numerous resorts at Brgy. Sabang. We stayed at Isla Virginia Resort. What I liked about the place is that the rooms are new, staffs are EXTREMELY VERY HELPFUL AND KIND AND RESPECTFUL AND HAPPY AND EVERYTHING NICE, and they have a swimming pool. You can't really swim when the waves are huge. So it's a good thing they have a pool.
- If you want to book for a room at Isla Virginia, you can call 09207550467. Please call, because we had a hard time trying to communicate thru text messages. They say it is because of the weak signal in the area. Our room was Baybay4, which was worth Php2000.00 for two persons. We paid extra Php300.00 because we were three. Standard check in time is 2pm but we got there around 7am and they allowed us to check in WITHOUT additional fees!
- Surfing! You cannot go to Baler if you will not try this! Standard rate for 1hour rent of surf board is Php350.00 with free surfing lesson. Isla Virginia offers this as well. Look for JR, Enric, or Jinky.
- For beginners, like me, it is best to try surfing during the months of April and May because waves are smaller.
- You can actually surf, even if you can't swim.
- Like What I have said, this trip is by far the cheapest I've done. Here is the summary of expenses:
|EXPENSES||each||group of 3|
|fare from cubao to baler||450||1350|
|fare from baler to isla virginia||25||75|
|accommodation- isla virginia||767||2301|
|Breakfast – isla virginia||463||1389|
|fare from baler to cubao||450||1350|
Enjoy your Baler trip!